Tuesday, July 21, 2009

You Drive Me Crazy


Los Angeles without a car. Don't try it.

I thought a summer in LA without a car would somehow just work itself out. I mean, I understand public transportation (thank you New York) and I love walking - so I figured if I really needed to be somewhere far from where I was that I could figure it out when the time came by bribing or begging my friends.

I am usually not one to fail when I set out to succeed. Now with a little more than a month until I leave this place to head back to The City, I have come to realize that on this assignment I have received a big - fat - below average - F.

Due to my lack of transportation I have failed to get a summer job (one of the initial reasons for returning to Los Angeles) and have not been able to attend any regular dance classes (therefore not being prepared to go back to school). My ideas of using a moped or a bike to get places were quickly discouraged by friends - so I aimed to find work in Westwood. Aparently the only people who work in Westwood are paralegals and people who rent out furniture (I know... creepy).

I always heard people say that Los Angeles is impossible to live in without a car, but since I spent over a year at UCLA without one and managed to survive quite well I thought they were all being a little over dramatic. I hate to say it, but I am now converted. If you are ever considering visiting Los Angeles for a few months and want to work at the same time - it is probably not going to happen unless you have a job set up ahead of time. It might be more likely if you are staying for a longer period of time.

I guess I should not be complaining. I really needed a good long rest. But I have to admit that I don't think I am doing much better sitting around with no job worrying about finances. I never thought I would say that I was so ready to get back to NY and get another job. Why would I want that stress either?

I wish there was a happy medium. Maybe I should move to Wyoming or something...

1 comment: