Sunday, June 27, 2010

Catch Your Wave

I have been on a super sonic exploration of nyc and surrounding areas during the past few weeks. I've made it my personal endeavor to become acquainted with as much of this side of the continent as possible.


First stop was Mary's Fish Camp, the cutest small plate restaurant in the west village. It is one of those tiny places that has as many tables crammed into it as possible and you are sitting with the people at the tables next to you as much to the person(s) you came with across from you, but I think that adds to the fun. The best thing we ordered was the dorado with edamame and grapefruit. Yum.


That same night we took the walk down Bleeker Street and around a corner to the long awaited Popbar. Pasha went simple with a mango bar with white chocolate and macadamia nuts, while I took the bar "less traveled by" - chocolate bar dipped in milk chocolate sprinkled with almonds and granola dipped again, this time in dark chocolate and drizzled with white chocolate. I really couldn't stop myself. I could have all I wanted for only one extra dollar. Sign me up. This is the only non-incriminating picture - the rest are of me with chocolate all over my face and clothes. Scandalous.


A few days later I took part in a performance in Washington Square Park about human/sex trafficking. After the performance we took a nice walk to alphabet city to the remarkable Sigmund's Pretzel Shop. As you can see the pretzels were fantastic.


We went a little pretzel crazy, purchasing no less than two salted pretzels, one garlic parsley, and (my favorite) gruyere paprika. We also took advantage of all the fun dips: whipped butter, honey mustard, herb goat cheese, and some fancy peanut butter. Fun.

This past week I also took my long awaited day trip to Washington DC. We spent one entire day from 9am to Midnight walking all over DC seeing the most amazing historical buildings. Pasha was sad that his man crush - Obama - was not in town, but we still enjoyed our tour of the capital building, seeing Thomas Jefferson's personal collection of books at the Library of Congress, and seeing fireflies for the first time right after observing the Vietnam War Memorial.


At the Lincoln Memorial I had a run in with some "super-cool" frat boys, who interrupted me while I was reading. Out of no where I hear, "Wow dude, that is a long speech..." the other doofus responds with, "Yeah man, there is no way I am reading that..." my response: "It's called the Gettysburg address and two paragraphs is not really that long." I was annoyed for a few minutes, and then I took this picture and realized how being annoyed while being somewhere so foundational would be a waste of time. Schooled.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have posted more this month than ever before. I also enjoy hearing about your adventures in NYC. I'm hoping to come see you someday. Hopefully I'll have the moneys to make a trip next year. Love you lots, mateE.

    ReplyDelete